Sunday, October 23, 2011

How to lose weight: Part IV

Today I will write about a topic that a lot of people find scary, something they shouldn't, because this topic is a valid and good way to get stronger, feel better about yourself, and lose a lot of weight!

Part IV: Lifting weights

By now you're probably thinking to yourself: Is this guy crazy? I don't want to look like some buffed up bodybuilder on steroids! 


If you haven't taken the time to read Part II, I seriously suggest you go do it now, because it explains a lot about what I'm about to tell you. You should not be worried about getting too muscular, because you will only get bigger if you eat big!


What scares most women away from the weights are pictures of female bodybuilders, with their steroid-pumped veins and muscles. I will show you a picture that speaks for itself:




Now, lifting combined with eating on a calorie deficit (again, read Part II for an explanation about what a calorie deficit is) will not only make you lose weight, it will also give you a rocking body.

An example for lifting combined with a healthy nutrition plan for optimal weightloss:

  • Eating on a 500 calorie deficit
  • Getting enough protein so that you will also build muscle mass (important for that six pack!)
  • Lifting 3 times a week
  • Doing light cardio on off days (such as running/biking in a steady pace for 30 minutes)

But what lifts should I do?

I strongly recommend the program 'Starting Strength' by Mark Rippetoe. I do this because it's good whether you are a woman or a man, whether you are trying to lose weight or gain weight. It applies to people in all ages, and does exactly what the name states. It get's you a base of strength, a foundation that you can then build up further. 

Here is a modified version, written by a guy who knows his stuff. Read it all. (Note: I strongly recommend power cleans instead of Pendlay rows for a beginner!)

How do I make sure that what I'm doing is correct and that I'm not doing it wrong?

First off, I strongly recommend you to join a local gym. It might be tempting to buy some free weights and workout in the garage, but for a newbie this poses a number of threats. For example, you could get stuck under the bar when benching or even worse, it could hit your throat and severely damage you, and in the worst case scenario, kill you.

I suggest that you ask one of the PT's at your gym to help show you how to do the exercises. Don't be shy, everyone had to start off from scratch - and most importantly, START OFF WITH LOW WEIGHT. I cannot stress this enough. Don't try to lift more than you can actually handle, because that is when you get injuries. 

Happy lifting!

How to lose weight series:
Part I
Part II
Part III
Part IV

10 comments:

  1. I haven't read all of your posts, but just skimming through this one alone intrigued me enough to where I am going to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the posts, some quality information in here! Great to see another fitness enthusiast!

    Spoiler: Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  3. Should put a post up about STARTING STRENGTH (SS)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do know SS, everything I am writing here is actually stuff I have learned after reading SS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like my fatty ass :)
    Nice blog bro!

    ReplyDelete
  6. interesting stuff you have here. Looking forward to skimming through it all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really need to lose some 20 pounds lol

    ReplyDelete